Broughty Ferry coastal walkway
A durable, high quality concrete, able to withstand the hostile marine environment was an essential requirement for the recent refurbishment and upgrading of the scenic coastal path and sea wall that links the harbour at Dundee with Broughty Ferry. Hanson Concrete supplied a specialist mix containing Sika® admixtures, from their local Dundee plant to the project contractors, Torith Ltd’s Civil Engineering Division.
Hanson Concrete, working closely with Sika®technologists, designed a concrete mix to meet the demands of this project. Sikacrete® L microsilica slurry was used to enhance the strength, impermeability and abrasion resistance; Sika Ferrogard®-901 for protection of the steel reinforcement from chloride attack and Sika® Control 40 to reduce the potential for shrinkage. Expansion joints along the walkway were sealed with Sikaflex®- AT Construction multi-function joint sealant.The walkway was originally built in 1923, and is often described as one of Dundee’s hidden treasures, with views across the River Tay to Fife. Apart from the work to the sea walls, the two-year, £800,000 refurbishment to the walkway has included resurfacing and replacement of rails and barriers.