Highways England Area 3 ASC provider works
Client: EM Highways
Value: £9 million +
Form of contract: NEC 3
Overview: Hanson Contracting is working with EM Highways to resurface 85 per cent of the strategic road network in Area 3 by 2019.
- AC 20 HBM
- EME2 – 14mm Tuffgrip 65PSW thin surface course
- Geo-tactile reinforcement systems (with supply chain partners)
EM Highways appointed Hanson Contracting to be part of its provider works delivery team through the Highways England category management procurement process.
In the first six months of the contract, Hanson has completed 31 individual schemes and laid over 50,000 tonnes of thin surfacing material. These schemes have been designed to help EM Highways achieve its target of resurfacing 85 per cent of the 1,242km of motorways and A-roads in Area 3 over the next five years.
Area 3 is one of Highways England’s largest networks carrying around 10 per cent of the country’s overall traffic flows. It includes the M27, M3, M4, A3, A303 and the Hindhead Tunnel and provides the main link routes between several major towns and cities including Oxford, London, Reading and Swindon in the north, and Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth in the south.
Hanson is working collaboratively with the client and other provider works partners to ensure it delivers the schemes in the most efficient and economical manner with minimum disruption to road users.
As well as Hanson’s contract manager being based with EM’s delivery team and regular meetings being held, key to delivering these schemes is Hanson’s flexibility to programme changes while undertaking all work at night and running two schemes simultaneously.
- No lost time injuries recorded by Hanson Contracting and all site personnel and managers attended regular health and safety briefings and updates.
- All planings managed on a waste accounting system and, where possible, recycled back into the road network by the asphalt supply chain.
- All vehicles are fitted with trackers to monitor and record their carbon footprint.
- All works delivered right first time, on time and on budget